Teach Western Mass


If you'd like to learn more about Teach Western Mass or have questions about your application, please contact us using this email form to the right. 


Email Teach Western Mass

* I'm emailing about:


Subscribe to receive periodic Teach Western Mass email updates.

* I'm interested in:



  1. What type of person is a good candidate for the Teach Western Mass Residency?

    There is no one profile for an ideal Teach Western Mass Resident; we expect that Fellows will come from a wide range of backgrounds and bring to the program a diverse set of talents and skills. Strong candidates are those who are committed to having a positive effect on student achievement in Western Mass, who display excellence in their previous endeavors, and who are dedicated to reaching and influencing students—especially those in under-resourced areas—on a daily basis.

  2. Am I eligible if I have no prior teaching experience or prior coursework in education?

    Yes. Individuals without prior teaching experience or coursework in education are eligible for the program and encouraged to apply. The Teach Western Mass Residency is specifically designed to attract high-quality applicants from diverse backgrounds into the teaching profession.

  3. Am I eligible if I majored in education or have completed student teaching?

    Candidates with some prior education coursework or an education degree are welcome to apply.  If you have your preliminary license, you are eligible to apply. Individuals who hold or have worked under substitute licenses are eligible to apply.  Anyone who has already earned an initial or professional certificate, or is eligible for either by transferring a license from another state, is not eligible for this program. 

  4. Why aren't teachers with their initial or professional certification eligible to apply, and what should they do to start teaching in Western Mass?

    The Teach Western Mass Residency is specifically designed to provide training and alternative certification to individuals who need to participate in an approved program to obtain their initial and professional certificate in MA. There are other paths to employment for certified teachers and individuals who have completed teacher education programs. 

  5. Am I eligible to apply if I have an expired professional license?

    If you were once licensed and that license is now invalid, inactive or expired, you may be eligible for the program. If you have not taught with that license in the past 5 years and you hold no other valid licenses, you will be eligible for the program. 

  6. Do I need to be a resident of Western Mass to apply?

    No. You do not need to live in Western Mass to apply, however, we are looking for applicants who have deep knowledge of the region and a commitment to the students of Western Mass. This program is open to all qualified, determined candidates with the skills and ambitions to make a difference in the lives of students who live in our region. 

  7. Do I need to be a U.S. citizen to apply?

    Not necessarily. The Teach Western Mass Residency is open to U.S. citizens, legal residents, and those who hold a valid work permit.